View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 05:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
There is a long history of hydrofoils..
There are some ancient Air Chairs around with flat foils. Fine for learning on.
The Air Chair Stealth (Currently called the "standard" on their website) has been around for 10 years or more. Fine for learning and progressing, but starts to become unpopular as you progress to jumps and other aerials.
Sky Ski has a large number of current models, and even more good older models. They range from being comparable to the Air Chair, to being significantly superior. You'll have to find a better expert to tell you which is which.

There is a much stronger aftermarket for Sky Ski bits and pieces than there is for Air Chair related ones.

My suggestion would be to find a used Air Chair Stealth/Standard or lower-end SkySki used, ride it for a season, then decide where you want to go. If you want to sell it or upgrade, you'll probably be able to get what you paid out of it.

You'll get a lot of suggestions about things that "need" to be fixed about your ski (Sorry, SkiDog) - such as wings, foot stays, belts, seats, suspensions, etc. You can ignore them until you start considering advanced aerial maneuvers - then there are significant safety and performance enhancements that you might want to consider making.

If you want to teach yourself, let me know - I can at least send you the almost (but not quite) worthless DVD that came with my Air Chair. Or, just fly to Phoenix and we'll give you a tow...

/frank