View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 02:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Welcome to the darkside.

It's easiest to learn from someone who knows, but it is possible to teach yourself. What we learned:
1. Use a non-stretch rope. It's amazing the difference this makes.
2. Your first tows are just to get you up on the water. Some people pop up with no problem (my wife), some people have a huge problem (a friend who's been water skiing for 30 years just couldn't figure it out and kept falling over sideways). Pull out up to about 12-14 mph, which should let you get up on the water and get used to riding, but not get you flying.
3. Slowly speed up to about 16 or so, where you should be able to fly a little bit without getting too out of control.
4. If you're gonna crash, let go of the rope early. It's a hard lesson to learn, but really reduces wear and tear.
5. The easiest, softest, and most spectacular way to crash at these low speeds is to let go of the rope and lean back. You'll do a half-flip and land upside down - the guys in the boat love it, but it's soft and easy on you.

I'd suggest going to foilforum.com for better information. Maybe you can hook up with someone who has one already for learning.

BTW, I don't think I've seen anyone come out of the water after using the foil without a smile on ther face.

/frank