View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 07:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 Sport
23 years is a long time to stay on the water, even with a lift and enclosed boat house. Look for mold damage and expect the foam in the seats to be pretty soft from age. Stitching on the seats maybe weak and starting to tear. Keep in mind that new upholstery going to cost $2500 or more. You can probably live with the old seats as a college student, but it is a negotiating point on price. Ignition should have been converted to electronic, carb should have been rebuilt recently and hopefully upgraded to deal with alcohol in the fuel. Steering should be free or a new cable may be needed. Insist that the motor be cold when you first start it. If the owner has it "warmed up and ready" when you get there, it might have some cold starting issues. If you can, get the motor compression tested. Low hours isn't a guarantee of a good motor at that age. I have had a 1990 tristar for about 10 years and just trying to think of issues I've had over the years. I love my boat enough that I have recently restored it rather than sell and buy new. Those years have a classic look and are still simple enough to do your own maintenance. Cost of ownership should be low if you get a good boat. Good luck!