Thread: Disc Brake Kit
View Single Post
  #14  
Old 04-07-2014, 02:57 PM
jschildm jschildm is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Location: Midwest
Posts: 276
I have a quick update related to this (not so quick, in hind sight). I had installed the hubs, rotors, bearings last year out of necessity, but finally finished the rest of the install this weekend. The installation of the parts was a breeze. Calipers bolted right on. I was either missing or lost one of the brake lines, but I was able to make one of the originals work. I didn't take pictures like I said I would though, sorry. I am not very good at that part.

As mentioned, last year I did the bearings and rotors. That was just the same as with any trailer hubs and went smoothly. This weekend, I started by adding the brake hardware ... pull the tire, the calipers are already loaded so its two mounting bolts to bolt them on. Then go to the other side and do the same. Then I pulled the lines through the frame by taping the flex line to the existing line at the tongue. I then pulled the old line out with the new attached and that worked flawlessly. I hooked up the lines to the brake hardware installed previously. Next I installed the inner tongue member onto the existing tongue. The old brake line was already removed to pull it though. Then simply pull a couple snap rings, slide the pins out, and the whole thing slides forward and out of the tongue. I installed the new member in the same manner. Before hooking up the new flex line, add oil and bleed the actuator. Then install the line at the tongue, and its time for the fun part, filling/bleeding the whole system. Use your screw driver and an extra person to pump the actuator while the help opens/closes the bleeder valve on the furthest caliper (loosen the valve when pushing in, and then tighten prior to releasing). Repeat this process until you get fluid out without any bubbles (you will have to add brake fluid multiple times as the lines fill). Move on to the other brake doing the same.

For my install, I also re-did the wiring at the tongue to add a wire for the back-up solenoid. I removed a few extra splices and changed from a 4 wire plug to a 7 wire plug (only using 5 locations). I was able to tidy up the wiring some as well as make it longer (some friends trucks were very close to not reaching before).

By far the longest part was bleeding the system. You can use a screw driver to pump the actuator, but it still takes a while to get the whole system filled and bled. I just made a quick trip taking it back to the storage unit so I don't have much in the way of results yet. The drum brakes hadn't worked since I owned the trailer, but it seemed to stop better and was way more cushioned on speeding up and slowing down than in the past. I will have to keep an eye on lines, connections, and oil levels to ensure I don't have any leaks.

Sorry for the cluttered summary and lack of pictures. If anyone has questions I will try my best to answer. I am glad the parts are installed and functioning though. At least I got it done in less than a year.
Reply With Quote