View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 12:30 AM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 17,233
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Originally Posted by GKinTN View Post
Sorry no pics. But I could take a pic of the blisters on my thumbs! Just kidding there, but I could tell another hour or two and I would have had blisters. I was going to try the hot water method to soften the rubber, but with it getting cold outside I decided to keep things dry and go with the heat gun instead.

I had one section (transom left) that I had to redo it as there were two sets of holes originally on the boat and on the rail, one that was a bit crooked which I accidently used to reattach and it was slanted. I bet it was a goof from day one. That said, it took a stiff putty knife to separate things (after drilling out the new rivets) to redo it so it gave me confidence that the silicone really adds some sturdiness to the rub rail attachment. Originally I was just going with rivets and silicone to save $ over 100+ stainless screws/nuts, but I'm glad it looks like it's going to work out even better.

awesome! it's a project takin' them old rivets out.... I used 3M 5200 - I hope to never redo this job in my lifetime..
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote