View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 03:12 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
I work in Mortgage field services as a contractor for banks directly so I am pretty accustomed to having this issue. FHA loans are completely different from Conventional loans. And they come with a different set of rules. Its kind of what you get for allowing the government to assist on first time home buyer credit and other things. But your loan ... albeit may be deep entrenched and in fine print, will clearly state that your home must pass all current regulations for safety. They consider electrical to be a safety issue. So if you are going to sell your home it has to comply with current codes. Even if what was performed was done correct at the time.

I can also tell you that it is better fire protection to run your wires in pipe, through the floor joists. Not stapled or romex wire run like extension cords all over the place. Yes I know not all states require conduit, but FHA requires you comply with all new regs.

My advice is no never accept any government assisted loan. Even for first time home buyer credit of $8k. Because they will make you spend that savings later ... EVERY SINGLE TIME. Its their job to make sure that the home they finance is of the highest quality and most current standards so if you default then they have a more valuable and safe home to resell.

It sucks, FHA sucks. Even though I make my living off of doing these repairs to FHA homes in default.

As a note: Romex is not allowed in any homes in my area. Exposed or not. It is a violation is any manner.
Certainly a steel conduit offers better protection than romex. Chicago is somewhat famous for requiring conduit in residential. I wouldn't wire my house that way if you paid me. Completely overkill and unnecessary IMO. Interesting fine print.

Interesting advice on the gov. loan too.

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.