View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013, 01:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Xstar
Shaft log construction (and repair required)- older Xstar

Just cleaning out the bilge on my 2000 XStar and I noticed a small problem. Trying to explain it, the shaft log appears to have a single layer of glass mat covering it, then painted/geled separately to the rest of the boat. Almost as if the boat is built, gel'd then the matting is placed over the log and then gel'd/painted. The single layer of glass has delaminated, so needs to be stripped off, the area cleaned and re-glassed. Not a particularly difficult job and a small area to work on.
To me, what is presently on the boat looks like a repair, however when I inspect the underside, there is absolutely no way there has been a repair as there are no colour mismatches, feather lines etc. I've tried to find some bilge photos on google but to no avail, so if anybody can photograph the shaft log area extending back to the through bolts for the P bracket, that would be really useful. I need to determine how many layers of glass are required so very keen to see what it is meant to be like...THanks