View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 02:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Info regarding VistaView CableTec railing for anyone interested

For anyone interested or who may be considering going the stainless steel railing route, here are some specifics on what I used and a pic of the fittings.

For starters, I found several suppliers out there but the pricing seemed out of reach and I received poor response from inquiries I made until I found VistaView CableTec railings from Wilson Building Products. I spoke and worked directly with the owner, Paul Wilson, as he helped me find the most cost effective solution for my project and he saved me a lot of money, time and effort. Paul was great and did everything he said he would do in a very timely manner.

Infomercial over and back to the details.....
I used 1/8th inch T316 1x19 cable (a section of if is picture below) and threaded hand crimp fittings which bolt thru the post and act as your tensioner (pictured with the washer and nut). On the stairways I used the toggle ends which were lag bolted into the post on one end and then I used an angle washer (pictured) with a threaded hand crimp on the other end which was again thru-bolted to get my tension.
They do sell a lag tensioner which is cheaper and allows you to simply screw into the face of your starting and stopping post, however, depending on the length of your run you may need more tensioning ability than they offer and you with the thru-bolt you can hide the hand-crimped end within the post and simply put a nice dome nut on the threads that come out of the post end. Other, more expensive options for ends exist that do not require crimping but one look at the cost of those will surely make you reconsider this as an option.

If anyone is considering this, please feel free to pm me and I will be happy to tell you what I felt I did right and wrong. Always happy to help.
Attached Images