View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013, 01:41 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1987 M/C Prostar 454
Well the first couple weeks of hard working on the boat is done and I have made some head way. The wiring and gauges and switches and lights have been thoroughly gone over and everything is working as it should. I found i will need a 3 wire bilge pump not a 2 wire they had hooked up to only manual operation, i want man. and auto. I pulled the motor and stripped it down, its a Gen V 454 so definetaly not the original, im going to look for a 85-87 454 running to buy and get overhauled to install in the boat. I removed sand blasted and welded the aluminum swim platform brackets and they have 3 coats of etch primer and are sitting in the garage waiting to be painted tomorrow. The Platform itself has been taken apart sanded and now stained with "Merlot General Finish" and will be sealed with Teak Marine sealer when i decide how many coats i want to put on of the stain. I have installed rear speakers, still deciding on placement of front speakers and brand of deck. I have ordered a replacement VDO Temp gauge to replace the off brand one in there right now i cant have all VDO and one Faria, hahaha. I have repaired the large crack in the dash pad. Also bought new fresh air hoses for under the bow and new bilge pipe for that, as well as a bunch of other stuff i don't feel like mentioning.

Lots left to go but im making a little headway, still want to do fiberglass repairs and gel coating before winter then polish the maroon part of the boat and take pictures to get new decals made. Not sure how far ill get because its getting a little colder at night now so winter is coming lol.

Anyways ill post more pics when i get time, and can anyone give a link to a good beginners gel coating diy site or info, i could search on my own but im tired from working on the boat, haha.

Thanks and i look forward to the replies