View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 11:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
There are two ways to fog:
1. Pull the plugs, spray the fogging oil into each cylinder, put the plugs back in.
2. Start the engine, spray the fogging oil down the throat of the carburetor until the engine dies. Don't do it when your neighbors are home, because someone will call the fire department.

The second way looks like what jgraham was doing, and appears to be not recommended for some engines.

Just to cause some controversy, I wouldn't turn over the engine after fogging through the plug holes. If you turn over the engine after spraying the fogging oil, the rings are going to scrape all the fogging oil off the cylinder walls and deposit it on/near the heads. Some will run back to the lowest point of the cylinder, but I don't think you have full protection inside the cylinders. I suppose if you wanted to be compulsive, you could fog the cylinder, rotate the engine to get the fogging oil in contact with the rings (and perhaps a very thin film below the rings), then fog again to make sure the cylinder walls are coated, put the plugs in and roll it into the garage.

Or you could live in Phoenix and simply not worry about problems caused by humidity.

/frank