View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 02:55 PM

Boat: 1997 '190 LT-1/ 'slot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
After what seems like 40 days/nights of rain we are catching a bit of a break so I ordered the materials for the deck.....the pile looks so much smaller than I thought it would but then again I am comparing it to the pile we had for the actual house construction.
So, I locked in the ledger board and hung the joist hangers on the house and tonight I will likely drill the post holes and figure out exactly how I am going to lift a 20' long 6x6 so as to set it...should be fun. I would use the skidder but I lent it to my brother-in-law for a bit (worst case scenario I will go and get it to put posts in and then return it to him)

I will post up progress pics as I move thru the project but for now I have a pile of lumber.
Is your deck really 20' off the ground? You should build the deck first on temporary supports then put the 6x6's in place. Are you building your deck on a beam or are you hanging the floor joists and letting the end of the deck double 2x's serve as the beam? Are you trying to let the 20' 6x6's extend through and also serve as posts for the guards? With your deck as high as it is, I'd build the deck before digging for the sonotubes. And I would have separate posts for the railings. What are you using for railings?

Prior boats - 2009 X14, 2008 X14, 2005 197, 1988 Tristar 190, 1989 Prostar.