View Single Post
Old 06-16-2013, 03:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar with a Corvette LT1
Here's a good before and after:

I don't think I have to mark them before & after - you should be able to tell!!

I don't want to claim to be an expert but I've learned a lot with removing the oxidation. I really recommend, on a boat this bad, wet sanding with 600, 800, 1000, 1200 and on the dark colors 1500 grit 3M wet sandpaper.

My neighbor stopped by while I was buffing and he gave me a bottle of Presta Starta Ultra Cut compound and I have to say that worked the best.

The 3M compound is supposed to be the best for buffing fresh automotive clear coat and I would say it cuts about the same as the Meguires Oxidation Remover. The Presta cut the best and left a nice finish, I did not go over it with a finer compound. I would really recommend going thru all the grits, I played around with different steps and when I did all those grits it buffed like a piece of cake. Also pictured is the sanding pad I used to get nice even pressure while I was sanding. I bought 9 1/2" x 11" sheets and cut them in half, you wrap them in thirds around the block so you get 3 sides to sand with. I was surprised the paper did not last longer, I would say I had to use a fresh side about every 2' ft. x 2' ft. area or less.

I hope this encourages someone to get out there and buff their boat: