View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 06:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Regarding the HU (Clarion CMD5). A yellow one, called memory lead, should be connected directly to the battery. That means - if I understand right - that this cable should be connected to the power source of the amps which is then finally connected to the dual battery switch.
At the moment I don't know where it is connected to at the moment. But is it ok to connect it to the + of the amp? Would the power on function still work? Guess yes since the amps are switched on via the blue/white cable (but get the power over red +, where finally the HU yellow is connected too).
Yes, it is absolutely ok to piggy-back the head-units yellow B+ and black GND to the amps power cabling lugs. This is a sure way to have all the gear sharing the same battery source. If your amp uses a set screw that directly contacts the cable, make sure you slide the head-unit wires under the amps cable and not the top. Cranking down on that large setscrew can damage the small head-unit wire. also, avoid the side of the amp cable as there will be little tension there.

Quote:
There is another red cable at the HU which is called "switched power lead" and which should be connected to accessory 12+. Is it ok to connect to that cable for example another device such as a digital radio.
This red wire is what tells the head-unit to power on, its just a 12v signal, not load carrying. its not in the signal path, so where it gets its 12v from is rarely an issue. Most boats come from the factory with it on the key switch. We typically relocate them to a dedicated rocker just for the purpose of turning head-unit on and off, rather then having it cycle every time the operator shuts the engine off. Im not sure I understand what it is you are looking to connect it to or connect to it though. I think you are asking if you could use that 12v switched rocker to power up another device? If so, yes, as long as the circuit can carry the additional load.