Thread: Random Pictures
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 12:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by pap View Post
I've requested several times, nothing has happened.

WRT flag:
Flag Code Section 8’s concept of “respect” for the flag of the United States of America can, at first glance, seem patent and trivial. There are certainly those who would imagine that any and all demonstrative uses of our national emblem are invariably “patriotic,” simply in their own right. We are of the view, though, that idle exhibitions of patriotism are little more than a tribute to the exhibitor, a self-pat on one’s back as it were, whereas “respect” speaks in terms of the flag itself. American Heritage (4th) defines “respect” as “to feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.” This is to say, one does not automatically “respect” the flag by its use; to the contrary, we suggest that one shows the opposite by its misuse.
"Except for patches on certain uniforms , please do not wear clothing of any kind embossed with the American flag. Please."
Except for patches on certain uniforms (which we address in a separate column), please do not wear clothing of any kind embossed with the American flag. Please. “The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. Section 8(d). “It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard.” Section 8(i).
No flags or flag designs as clothing? This may, at first blush, appear Draconian. But reiterating, one mustn’t confuse pretence with reverence. The first is of no moment within the body of flag etiquette, whereas the latter is at its very heart
We should not disgrace an actual US Flag by turning it into clothing, you keep quoting sections that reference real flags and not flag imprinted clothing. Did the guy in the photo cut up and sew a US flag into an ill-fitting pair of shorts my money would be no, but if he did thats wrong, otherwise he's ok wearing those shorts no matter how bad they look or my opinion of his patriotism.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE