View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 09:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar with a Corvette LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post

Couldn't you ask a simple question, like "What's your favorite engine oil?".
Okay, what's your favorite model Mastercraft?

Quote:

So, you can do what you've linked to - I have something similar on my boat from the PO, and it works well, but I worry about mechanical failure (i.e. the plastic breaking) causing engine damage someday while cruising down the lake.
What do you mean by PO? I agree about the possibility of a mechanical failure, just one more thing to go wrong. Does it have any purpose in winterizing or is it just to be able to run the boat out of the water?

Quote:
You can use the fake-a-lake concept, where you attach the garden hose to what's essentially a toilet plunger, and attach it to the bottom of the boat (what JimN is referring to above). Simple, not quite idiot proof (it can dislodge from the water intake when you're not watching), and reasonably popular.
To be honest I haven't checked but like "SP Maristar" said I think I've read it's under one of the bunks so the fake-a-lake won't work.

Quote:

Others have removed the hose going into the raw water pump, and attached a new hose dropped into a 5-gallon bucket of water, normally kept full with the garden hose. At any engine speed above idle, you'll note that the garden hose does not keep up with the water sucked in by the raw water pump. The 5 gallon bucket assures that you can rev the engine (at least for a bit) without running it short of water.
That's interesting that the engine could be starved for cold water if feeding just by a garden hose. I might want to do this the first couple of times I start it after reinstalling the engine, just in case I need to run it for any length of time.

Quote:

If you want to reduce the mess, you can put a plastic kiddie pool under the exhausts to catch the water coming out of the engine, run the intake hose and garden hose into the kiddie pool also, and have a reasonably closed-loop cooling setup. I don't guarantee what happens when the water eventually heats up to 180 degrees, however. Having 20 or 30 gallons of boiling water sloshing through the garage might be a bit of a safety hazard if the pool collapses.
That just sounds like trouble, anyways I have too much stuff in the garage to fit the boat!!

Is there any possibility of the transmission overheating with it in neutral since there's no cold water going to it.

Thanks for the information I appreciate it.
Steve