View Single Post
Old 05-04-2013, 08:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Well not that I'm trying to defend the Goodyear tires but that one was probably your fault. There's been a service bulletin out there for years that tells you to inflate by 10lbs for speeds over 65 MPH.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...plications.pdf

Special Trailer (“ST”) Tires
Goodyear Marathon trailer tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and branded as “ST” (Special Trailer) tires.
•
Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed rated at 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.
•
Based on these industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 km/h and 121 km/h), it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.
o
Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
o
Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.
o
If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).
o
The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

I've had Goodyear Marathons on at least the last 4 trailers without a single blow out but have always run at or near maximum pressure rating. I currently run them at 60 PSI but the longest trip I take is about 200 miles once a year and everything other than that is less than 100 miles a couple times a year. I also plan my trips so that I'm pulling in the mornings or evenings so that I'm not on the road during peak temperatures.

All that being said I'm still trying to figure out what to buy next. Everything I can find on MAXXIS looks good.