View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 10:53 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
Career change at 39 ??

Some of you older members may know a bit of my history. What I have been doing for the last 13 years is sales and installation of natural stone countertops. I kinda fell into this career path a$$ backwards and although I have somewhat enjoyed it , it's definately not my passion. Over the last decade I have dabbled in other ventures , boat sales and I even bought a restaurant. Neither of which has panned out real well and left much money on the table. I really enjoyed owning the restaurant ,but the margins were so small and it left hardly anytime for waterskiing !

The countertop business has kept food on the table and I made good money when the economy was strong. I am however ready for something new. 3 years ago I actually decided to attend the police academy. I did for two reasons, just to see if I could do it and for a possible career change. Unfortunalty law enforcement jobs are few and far between. I did make it out of 50 applicants to the last two for a local department. My certificate is now expired and cop jobs are still slim.

So now I am still hoping to find my calling! I am mentally done with granite countertops and I need something else !

I am thinking something in aviation. I am a private pilot although I haven't flown in a while. I don't see myself as an airline pilot. So I was thinking air traffic control. But I am too old. Cut off is 35. Other option is flight dispatcher. Career path looks promising. Am I crazy to pursue a new career at may age? Anyone on here have any insight on this career?