View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1981 MC skier 351 W
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
I am not totally following whats going on here. Are you saying that due to the new strut location, the shaft hits the rudder when trying to install/remove from the rear?
Correct. And it was that way before too, and at that point the misalignment actually would have made it easier to pass the shaft. And I was hesitant to post that and hear that my strut must be off, but I am pretty confident in my strut to log alignment it rides pretty damn centered in the log when you pick it up and relieve binding/sag. And looking at the alignment of the strut mount and rudder mount holes they just look too close to possibly slide a 1 1/8" shaft past the rudder with everything lined up. Is this common?

Getting close to testing the tranny. I know it's taking forever but considering the small window of time I have to work on this thing each day I am doing okay. Got the alignment "eyeball" close which is much better than the shop did last year. Will finish tomorrow.

It blows my mind that I spent so much time on my stringers and blindly trusted my local shop to "align" everything when they dropped my motor back in. I guess it was the combination of project burnout and time to get on the water.

As for the runout on the shaft- not at all worried about shaft failure. Not that bad, at least I dont think. Just dont want vibration in my drivetrain after all the effort to get it back to normal. I also tend to be a little (a lot) OCD on my projects and it is a constant battle to decide if something is really worth replacing or not.