View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 04:24 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1996 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Well, I got the steering cable in but the old guide tube had to be cut down and recycled. The new tube that I ordered from Skidim had no threads except for the end and the block that clamps on to it was threaded. So, I just cut the torn thread off and adjusted the length, everything with the steering system works great now. I took the boat out this morning and I thought everything was running great....until... I put the boat on the trailer and found a decent bit of transmission fluid in the bilge. Not too excited about that but it seems to be coming from the bell housing around the starter penetration. I assume it is the shaft seal on the front of the transmission. I am kind-of aggravated that the guys at Rambo didn't mention that this could be a problem on a boat that has sat for 2+ years unused. I started looking around after i saw the fluid and saw that it is a fairly common issue with boats that have been stored for an extended period of time, especially with no fluid in the trans. I am assuming that I will have to pull the engine to swap this seal, debating whether I should do it myself or not. Here are some photos of the boat in the water and the bilge after I discovered the tranny leak. Can anyone give me any tips about how to keep so much water out of the battery compartment and the cooler box in the floor? Thanks
Attached Images