View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Perhaps you missed this part from the article:

"He said one of the problems with the plan is that there is “wiggle room” on how the information will be used. In the past, the National CounterTerrorism Center, which is supposed to ensure that critical threat information is shared among various agencies, was obliged to “promptly identify and purge any innocent U.S. person information.”

But the guidelines were subsequently loosened so that “not only can they keep the data for a number of years, but they can continue to use it,” German said."

I don't think anyone suggests that we don't look for the bad guys, but this isn't supposed to be an open invitation to compile bank records of people who fall into the "innocent" category, as suggested by the article.
One of the problems with analyzing data is knowing exactly what you are looking for at the time you are looking at the data. So there is a need to keep it. Seems to me terrorism is typically long planned out. Terrorist operate over a long period of time. It would be necessary to keep the information for a long period of time to be useful.

The point becomes that the information is used only for the intent that it was obtain and that it does not become public. IMO someone stating "wiggle room" (surely the document does not use these terms) is using FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) to incite people rather than state facts. I myself would want to know the details before passing judgement on it. I myself believe that to this day the CIA and others are a necessary evil.

But, yes I did skip over that part while reading/skimming the article.