View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 02:01 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by KahunaCraft View Post
All engines in the Ilmor line up call for 87 octane.

Yeah, there was a thread on collecting money from others, I've got friend that reciprocate and kids with friends where I don't mind. I'll find and edit this post with a link. Key is to decide who the takers and givers are in your life and adjust accordingly. I've never collected, but this forum has changed my opinion on that. Edit: the discussion was on the bu forum, worth a read.

I'm not advocating drinking and driving, just that the savings of having an 87 octane boats adds up quick.

Edit: I'm not convinced that a 93 octane CC gets better fuel mileage than a MC, in fact, I'd say my X30 compared to a G23/230 would be over $1000 cheaper to operate each year. Not to mention that I feel the quality of the MC on fit and finish is much better.
The PCM Excalibur (5.7) in the CC calls for 87 octane. I think the ZR and supercharged engines are the only ones that call for 93. My 98 PCM GT-40 calls for 89 Octane just like my old Indmar MC 351HO. Difference in price per tank for 89 over 87 is about $4. I have gotten used to running 93 in my VW. So 89 for the boat is a discount. In short, I give the engine what it wants and not a bit more.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.