View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 05:08 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190
Question on boat that has been sitting around

I have been looking for an 87-89 Prostar for a few weeks and finally found an 89. The interior and exterior are both in immaculate shape - almost too good of shape for a 24 year old boat. The motor has just under 500 hours, and the last registration sticker is from 2005. The guy selling it has never ran the boat, he traded a truck for it and is now looking to sell the boat since he has 2 others already. He claims the boat was previously owned by a boat mechanic and was ran (with no valid registration) for a couple of weeks at the end of the season.

My question is - what should I check on the motor and tranny? I will do a test drive and a compression check. Is there anything else to look for with a boat that has been sitting for potentially 8 years? The motor and bilge were just as clean as the rest of the boat and there was no rust anywhere. I hate to pass up an oppurtunity at such a well preserved boat, but am afraid of what is in the motor with it sitting for so long. Thanks for the help.