View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 11:58 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Maristar 240 425HP BBC/36 Spectre Cat 1400HP 130MPH/32 Glasstream CC Twin 300HP Verado/Cougar FTD Basscat 20' 225 Merc Pro XS
Smile

Quote: much better than several inches below, as youre describing.

If your refering to my post. I did not describe several inches below. I gave the expert opinion of the manufacturer that designs, engineers, builds and has to warranty their motors. Not my opinion their expert advise. I am not an expert by any means and not trying to P.O. or step on any toes. No harm no foul. They stated many varibles. Here is a example of a set back transom step hull / note cav plate several inches above keel. Water travels up off bottom to set back motors allowing less drag more speed. As a motor gets closer mounted to a flat transom boat it needs to be lower than this aplication, thus their statement about water touching on cav plate under way is a safe position. Could very well end up level with keel depending on varibles. That is their way of getting it close to correct. I realise jon boat is a considerbly different application with only one motor, but their procedure is a proven method. And as AJones stated, another varible, motor too high water starvation occurs, then motor meltdown and or prop blow out (loss of speed and steering) Also stated setback jack plate is a good way to be able to safely move motor up and can create less drag and more speed gives more distance and height from transom so water has more time to roll upwards to feed water intake and prop. Most setback jack plates will list the setback distance and height. Then the fun begins dialing it in. I have a 12' G3 with a 10HP 1956 Johnson to play with. Good fun.
Attached Images

Last edited by boater8987; 01-30-2013 at 06:39 AM.