View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
Big Ordeal

Well, here it is, my shiny, new alternator. Getting to this point was not easy however. When I pulled my Alt, as I posted earlier, there was not data tag or label, only that it was a Prestolite. I asked here on TT if anyone new the Alt part # off a 351W. No luck. So, I called both Ski Dim and DB Electrical, and they both stated that without a part #, they could not cross reference a higher amperage unit. The guy at DB told me that I should get a hold of someone at a Mastercraft dealer. So I called NW Mastercraft in WA state. Even after I told him the year/make/model, the first guy said he needed the hull ID to look up the part. Then I called back and the next guy said, no, he needed the engine serial #. Luckily, on my '90, there was a sticker on the manifold that of course said Indmar and the engine s #. I called back, and after 2 days, I called him back and he said that Indmar did not store the records for that far back and therefore had no idea of what Alt went on their engine! SO, I took the original down to a local auto electrical shop. He wanted $250 for a new model, 90 amp. I was clever enough to ask him if he got a part #, and he gave me one. FINALLY! So, I called DB back and got this beauty, a 105 amp version, 1-wire that should bolt right on. Now to see if it actually fits and works...
Attached Images