View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 11:42 PM
lakeoz tristar's Avatar
lakeoz tristar lakeoz tristar is offline
TT Enthusiast
Join Date: May 2012
Boat: 1990 Tristar 190 and 1998 Baha Cruiser Mach 1 290
Location: KC/Lake OZ-- Lincoln Park Mich Native
Posts: 134
1989 Tristar mini makeover on Busch Light budget

I started out this off season with a few minor things to do,
1) Seal leaks in rear of the boat around the exhaust flanges and speedo's and rub rail.
2)Replace the decals and get the missing tristar decal
3)Clean seats and get some quotes for possible replacements.

that turned into alot more than I was planning on. When I winterized the boat I noticed one of the exhaust manifold drain plugs had pretty smooth threads and was worn out as was the inside of the exhaust. So I waited until I took it to a garage and had a guy look at it and he had new threads in a matter of minutes but they was not much meat left on the casting. So I decided to buy the easy drain kit from SKIDIM and never have to remove that hopefully getting a few more years of use..

Received a few quotes for the interior--Keep in mind I did not have the means to get to viper for a complete redo and the local shops were all asking over $5000. for just a basic interior (no welting) that was noted on the quote as being (alot more) and no carpet included .
So one intersting option I got was from a shop that does restoration of leather and vinyl. They gave me a quote that was right in line with what I was looking for. Repairing what they can and fixing the bad stitching and replacing what was needed. Still havent got the parts back yet will show you before and after once they are back.

But while I had manifold off and almost all the vinyl out I had other things that I added to my to do list.
4) Took out combings and the wood was brittle-replaced the the wood but kept the vinyl and put it all back together. (there is alot of staples wow)
5)The removable floor piece between the windshield had felt soft - so I took it out and the wood inside was rotted had to scrape all the wood out and replace the lay over with several layers of fiberglass.
6)took out the carpet because it was in pretty bad shape since I already had almost everything else out of the interior at this point. Ordered new carpet and currently in process of installing. While carpet was out had two spots under each front seat that needed to be fiber glassed, also fiber glassed all the screw holes that hold the seats and everything else down since they seemed to be larger than the screws are now. Sanded all the old glue off the floor and side walls (PITA) glad that is done.- Midnight Boat Carpeting (20oz)
7) Since I had the manifold off one side I took exhaust flanges and speedo's off and reinstalled everything sealing and tightening all clamps.
8)Got to install a new stereo and speakers nothing special but better then what was in there. (Dual stereo with speakers package deal)
9) Took windshield off to replace the weather stripping, had several places where it was straight up missing. Polished the dash up nice and purdy while that was off.

Still have alot of things to do will add them to the list and keep updating.
Keep in mind these might not be the choices everyone might make as upgrades but I did not want to drop a bunch of money into a boat that I would never see back out of it if I ever decided to sell but I do intend to keep it for a year or two more until I can upgrade to a newer mastercraft. And all this work is stuff I have never attempted before or would have ever attempted with out Team Talk (gotta love this site) and it has kept me pretty busy this winter and will keep me busy for the next several weeks. Will attach some of the pictures tonight and the rest once I have them all sorted out and downloaded from the camera if I can find the cable.
Attached Images
Reply With Quote