View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 02:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
however... I am a ski elitist. When it comes to snowboarding, there have been articles (such as this one http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/01/20...src=dayp&_r=3& ) pointing out that snowboarding may have just been a fad. If it was a fad, it certainly progressed the sport of skiing. Had snowboarding not come around, we'd still be on long, straight, 215cm planks on the mountain. Thankfully the "shaped" ski movement came along, and if that's all that comes from the snowboard fad, then I'll be happy. Snowboarding is dying off however, skiing has never been in jeopardy of losing a clientell base, the only reason skiing dropped off at all was beacause snowboarding was the new "cool" thing to do.
you really think that 30% of all visits to resorts are people just on a "fad"? Yes, a 2-3% decline is "significant". you totally overlooked the point that snowboarders have more average days on the snow per year than skiers (now if that is statistically significant difference i have no idea, directionally, though, it is true). also, a 7.6 to 6.1 average day a year drop over 15 YEARS is "sharp"? give me a freaking break. I can tell you with assurance, that while it may ebb and flow (just like skiing has) snowboarding is here to stay (um who was in the Olympics first?). looks like for now, you pompous ski elitists will have to ride the same lifts we are. Don't like it? go to deer valley. I could care less.

Not that i'm against skiing, heck, my brother and some of my best friends ski, but don't call snowboarding a fad.

threadjack over