View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
Disagree. Seems a bit snobby to me. We all know "skiers" don't care for "boarders" and this kind of prepetuates it.

It's been wakeboarding and surfing that have kept the inboard market alive for the past 10 years. Like it or not the newer generations like standing sideways and doing jumps, and are less interested in uncomfortable stances and going really fast. It's the "sideways" movement that saved the snow ski industry too. Oh ya, if MC was only in the business of slalom boats, well I would say they probably wouldn't still be in business.

With all that said I have the upmost respect for Slalom skiers and the skills they have. It's a tough sport and takes a lot of practice. I got to really try it for the first time this past summer and it was much more fun then I expected. I plan to definitley do more and get a ski but you won't see me giving up wakeboarding anytime soon.
I like both types of watersports, and have no beef with either style of boat or what people do on them. When it comes to snowsports, however... I am a ski elitist. When it comes to snowboarding, there have been articles (such as this one http://travel.nytimes.com/2013/01/20...src=dayp&_r=3& ) pointing out that snowboarding may have just been a fad. If it was a fad, it certainly progressed the sport of skiing. Had snowboarding not come around, we'd still be on long, straight, 215cm planks on the mountain. Thankfully the "shaped" ski movement came along, and if that's all that comes from the snowboard fad, then I'll be happy. Snowboarding is dying off however, skiing has never been in jeopardy of losing a clientell base, the only reason skiing dropped off at all was beacause snowboarding was the new "cool" thing to do.

I have a feeling as people realize they can't afford 115k+ dollar boats, they'll start reverting to skiing again on the water and utilizing the great slalom boats that MC has and still does make, along with the other manufacturers.