View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 04:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None right now. :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
Any painters out there that want to provide some good advice:
We are handling all of our own painting and staining and while I have done more than my fair share of painting, the staining aspect is something that I have not done a lot of. My plan was to set-up a couple of temporary spray booths in the basement where I could spray all of the trim prior to going up. I know it is best to sand the trim between coats but do you also polyurethane it or leave it at the stained finish? I am pretty sure I will have to stain the steps to the second floor with a brush as I don't see any way to spary those.
Any advice is appreciated.
I worked for a painter while I was in college. We used to stain all the trim on sawhorses before it went up, stain and 1st coat of sealer before install then sand fill nail holes and 2nd coat after it was put up. The homebuilders we worked with called for painted doors and stained jambs, but I'm sure you could build some kind of framework in 1 or 2 rooms to hold all the doors up so you could do all sides without moving them. Stairs, fireplaces etc. were all finished after they were in.

You should also try to finish all the painting of the walls before the trim goes up. It'll save you a lot of time cutting in around trim. After you'll still need to touch up the marks from the other subcontractors but it's worth it.

We didn't do hardwood floors, if you question about the stairs was about the steps themselves disregard my above statement. If you need I can recommend a hardwood floor guy who redid mine about 4 years ago and I was really pleased with.