View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 04:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
I love ski league formats, I competed for nearly 15 years in slalom trick and jump in class C, regional and national tournaments. I've never missed them one bit since I stopped competing, around 27.

I didn't have a competitive outlet until I started a thursday night race league on snow. we'd get two timed passes through a giant slalom or slalom course, free ski a bit afterwards, then convene at different local pub weekly for two months, where the local brewer would provide a couple pitchers of beer for each team, while the events department organized the times, and posted the results. At the end of the year the brewery would host an end of season party where alot of good gear was given out, t-shirts and bunch of free beer was consumed. The camaraderie, meeting new people and seeing the development of my skiing was amazing. I would be excited to be able to develop my slalom skiing in a non serious competitive format again. Actually I'd love to be able to ski in a surveyed course two or three times a week. No way I'm moving to Texas though.

I found the problem with the AWSA/USAW format was prohibitive to low income families and the fact that non skiing parents who helped with judging, scoring and driving duties had to pay the same as the skiers for membership duties, while at the same time other parents and competitors sat on the rears all day and did very little besides complain about not getting re-rides if they or their kid had a crappy pass.

Great job on making an effort to make organized skiing fun for people and getting them into the sport.