View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 01:01 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I was told and had read the best wiring method was the siamese coax/power which is what I went with.

I didn't do a lot of reading, but what is the star light tech they speak of? Is it just a coined named for the IR night cameras?

I was also looking at getting 1 PTZ with auto tracking. It just follows anything moving. Lets you cover a wide area. Once the motion has stop it will center up on your pre-defined point.

Added a link in first post to some legal stuff about home surveillance. Seems pretty basic.
As long as the cable runs aren't so long that the signal experiences voltage drop and isn't susceptible to interference, anything coax or twisted pair wire is fine.

Starlight doesn't use IR illumination- it uses available light. The Digital Watchdog cameras have a setting to increase illumination by 2x through 32x and it works well.

BTW- rather than using DIP switches for changes to settings, the DW cameras have a menu button and is icon-based. Much easier than using little DIP switches, like the SPECO cameras have. For setup, I use a 7" battery-powered TV from KMart- it was $80 and it's great for this. I also use it to test cable/antenna connections and signal.

For the cabling, if it's exposed, put it in conduit. Never under-estimate the inventive abilities of a criminal when it comes to disabling something. A stick with a screw or hook can yank cables out or down, breaking their path and blinding it. IMO, if cables are exposed and reachable, they're only 'video cameras', not 'security cameras'. Also, if they're in conduit, critters can't chew through them. This is less of a problem in soffits and attics, but I have had to repair cabling when it was gnawed by squirrels.