View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
For free skiing, it affects how fast I am moving relative to the water. A boat traveling at 34 mph on the gps in a 2 mph current feels faster or slower to the skier depending on if the boat is traveling with or against the current. Having a traditional speedo (assuming I calibrated it in open water) to compare to the GPS gives me an idea of how much I would want to adjust the speed control to counteract the current.

This is a nonissue in a slalom course since speed over ground, which GPS measures, is all we care about. But in a slalom course, I'm relying on speed control and not paying much attention to my airguide.

Not bagging on your idea. I actually think it's really great. I'm just pointing out one of the advantages, for some, of having a traditional speedo in addition to a GPS speedo.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.