View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 01:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtwentyNot View Post
Great thread! I'm from the built not bought camp and have learned the only way to be able to do everything yourself is to roll up your sleeves and go for it.
I find that, while from an hourly standpoint, some of my projects are ludicrous, the satisfaction I get from doing things with my own two hands far outweighs the time I invest into them.
That said take the windshield and snaps off already (is there am echo in here ).
And I re read just to clarify, you did plan on gel coat work. Guess what? Do it yourself! No way you won't be able to pull it off. Get something fiberglass to practice on, whatever it takes. Spraying gel coat is relatively simple, watch YouTube, ask here, and go for it. Re gel as little or as much as you want. But no way you don't spray it yourself! You're already doing all the hard stuff in the prep!

Couldn't have said it better myself. I realize that there are more cost effective, or time efficient ways to get the results I am looking for.

I would also add one other point, you can't put a price on an experience..............as you guys can probably tell this is the first time I have attempted working with fiberglass, and working on restoring a boat. I am an active DIY handyman, and pride myself on my ability to do a very close to professional job when it comes to home renovations. This is the same with my trucks, and other hobbies.

My feeling is that if I can spend a bit of time in my garage learning about my boat and spending time with my family and learning a few new skills that is time better spent than sitting in front of the TV, or whatever frivolous activity you take part in.

The other thought in the back of mind through out all this tear down is, I CAN'T MAKE IT LOOK WORSE!!!!! no matter how many mistakes I make I know that in the end the boat will look 1000% times better than it did.

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I will try and go back through and answer any questions you have asked.