Thread: Harbor Freight
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 12:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I'm pretty sure the HF hand tools (wrenches, sockets, extensions) have lifetime warranty. I gave up on Craftsman screwdrivers (except slotted, which I absolutely REFUSE to spend a lot for because I think slotted screws' time passed about 20 years before I was born and I have no use for them. I don't even like Phillips, but when I was doing car audio, it was hard to find a car that didn't have them. I had replaced a #2 Craftsman Phillips one night and the first time I used it, the tip fractured. Later that day, the Snap On truck showed u p and I bought a few- I have never had a problem with them. They do wear, but that's the nature of Phillips screws and drivers- unlike square-drive, Torx and some others, Phillips head can cam out of the screw and that's why I don't like them, either.

Point is, a company that rests on its laurels will fail and that's what Sears has done. They used to replace a whole ratchet wrench and now, they only tell me they can give me a rebuild kit. Also, a lifetime warranty is great but if I need to drive all over town to replace tools all the time, I'd rather pay more for a tool that won't fail in the first place and that's why I bought Snap On for the things I used all the time and could wear. I think I wore out one Snap On impact socket and that's only because I used it more than any other and impact sockets are softer than the plated ones.

As far as screwdivers go, a Klein 10in1 is the way to go. I have 1 in my truck, my tool box, kitchen drawer, and my boat... Add a pair of channellocks, you can fix the world. lol

I'm a craftsman guy as far as wrenches, sockets, ratchets, allens, etc. go... if you manange to break one of those, then you weren't using it properly. I have broke sockets with my impact wrench... well we all know you need to use impact sockets for that. So it was my fault, not the tools...