View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 11:59 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
1977 Stars and Stripes Restoration

Hi, I have been looking for a early MasterCraft Stars and Stripes to restore. I had always wanted a Stars and Stripes boat as a kid, but have only had outboard ski boats. After searching Craigslist and other sites everyday for the last several months, I finally found a 1977 red, white and blue boat in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. I worked out a deal with the owner to meet halfway with the delivery and I brought the boat home last Sunday night. I knew going in this was a project boat that will take some time, but hopefully I can make it through without my wife killing me. My goal is to be on the water by May 1st.

The hull is in really good shape. I have found only about three small gelcoat chips below the water line. There is no blistering, deep scratches or gouges, other than wear on the bow from trailering. After pressure washing off two years of scum from sitting in the weather, I have noticed the deck has more spider cracking than I originally thought and am trying to decide how I will address the cracking. Engine and transmission are supposedly in running condition, but the motor has no starter at this time. Interior is trashed and the boat needs stringers and a new deck. The boat may need a transom also as the swim platform and one of the tie downs is not very tight.

I started working on the boat yesterday afternoon and I removed all the decking up to the bow compartment. I hope to get the gas tank (full) out and the bow compartment cut out and the foam removed this weekend. Anyways, I know how you guys love pictures so I thought I would share some of yesterday's progress with you all.

I had saw a few older boats with holes in the windshield for air flow, but had never seen the original vents. These are not cracked or broken only yellowed. I am sure that they would be hard to find....

Two layers of OSB sandwiched for the driver's seat base.

Anyone know what type of Holley this is???

Non-glassed pressure treated plywood overlaid and screwed into rotted decking/floor. Bottom layer of decking had no glass on the bottom and only a thin layer (no mat/cloth) of resin on top.

Delaminated/rotten gas tank mount.

Mainly used a hammer to bust the rotten flooring into smaller chunks and then vaccummed out.

Main stringers are just fiberglass shells, screwdriver goes right through the laminate. Secondary stringers have been replaced with some type of foam as a core. Foam wasn't even fully encapsulated in the glass, only a thin layer of resin/chop strand on top and sides.

Thanks for looking. I am sure I will have quite a few questions over the next several months.

Last edited by SWGA Boater; 11-21-2012 at 12:01 PM.