Something certainly sounds wrong with the water intake but I wouldn't be quick to assume its because of turning your engine over for a couple seconds out of the water. Did you ever drive through weeds or a shallow area so that you could have sucked up some gunk?
If my boat has been sitting for a couple weeks or more, I always turn the engine over (much to my neighbor's chagrin) for literally 1 second to make sure the batteries are good. So don't feel bad about doing that and i hardly think that a second of spinning dry can damage the impellor. In terms of boating, few things are worse than getting to the dock and having dead batteries. good luck
Last edited by jdl xstar; 11-09-2012 at 11:28 AM.