So I found a post that point to the problem being the relays:
and another referenced post that discusses the relays:
When I took off the relay / fuse box and laid it on its side, all pumps worked in both directions. So I am thinking the relays are old and got stuck. They would get stuck again and hitting the relay with a wrench solved the problem. I have ordered new relays from here:
I will put them in and see if that finally solves the problem. Just wanted to update any future folks with the same problem.
odd that the wires to the pump were getting proper voltages yet if they ran was dictated by the relays. I guess I don't understand the purpose of the relays...