View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 09:40 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: In the process...
HELP! Considering buying a boat...and this is what I find

Hi all -

New to this forum and DD/VD boats in general. Have been skiing/boarding behind I/O's for going on 6 years and am finally pulling the trigger on a DD/VD boat. I went and looked at one this weekend that is for sale and I feel like I could get a pretty good deal on it (Prostar 205). However, when I went and looked at the boat for the first time I found some rust on a couple spots of the engine. I also pulled the impeller and that looked good.

Now, as I am not super familiar with true inboards, and especially MC, I was wondering how big of a pitfall this is for the boat. Speaking solely from the gut, it looks pretty cosmetic to me. The parts that have rust seem to be the big cast iron parts that would be pretty thick. Could someone just take these off, scrape/sand them down and repaint them? Sandblast? Buy and install replacements?

-or-

Is this just a tell tale sign of a money pit waiting to happen? The boat was obviously not taken care of the way a typical MC owner would...and that makes me nervous. On the flip side, the potential of getting it for a good deal could set some of those nerves to rest.

Thanks so much for reading my lengthy post. Any thoughts or recommendations? Any help is much appreciated.

I have uploaded pics and also embedded a link to a web album with more (I hope it works).

Ski and ride on, Wayne!

-Evan

https://picasaweb.google.com/1054979...eat=directlink
Attached Images