View Single Post
Old 06-14-2012, 09:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganTristar View Post
Hoping someone can help out here! 89 Tristar 351, new battery, started right up drove across the lake and shut it off to suit up and then just 'click', sounds like the solenoid is engauging. tapped on the starter still no avail. the most noticeable thing is that the power lead wire (heavy gauge) running from the solenoid to the starter was extremely hot after only three short attempts at starting it. If i let it sit for a long time and the wire to cool and i hit the key the engine will spin about 2 degrees then stop again.

Thinking about getting a new starter today just looking for reasoning why it would just up and stop working and make the wire get so hot so fast?

Also i replaced at the start of the season all the leads that go to the battery and solenoid and starter so no corosion there.
Sounds like you have it narrowed down to the starter. It wouldn't hurt to have the starter tested before you buy new, but sounds like you have it handled.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com