View Single Post
Old 05-01-2012, 09:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
Tonight's project was replacing the broken stereo cover that came with the boat.

I knew I had to replace it but had a nearly impossible time finding a cover narrow enough to fit in that 2 1/2" tall spot where the stereo is located. I don't think there is an off the shelf cover that will fit without modifications.

Here is what I started with:

I thought about relocating the stereo and covering the hole with a plate, but decided to try modifying this small marine cover I found on ebay. It was about $10 shipped. Luckily, they included the dimensions in the ebay listing so I knew it would fit after some modifications.

Here is a link to the same item: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Radio-H...5a7f21&vxp=mtr

It arrived.

The first thing to do is measure the frame of the stereo. Mine was 7" x 2". They should all be relatively similar. I then covered the front with painters tape so it didn't get all scratched up while I had it face down on my workbench.

This cover was made for the old style 2-post stereos. This is where you take out your dremel and modify the back to fit. I cut out a 7" x 2" hole to accommodate the face of my stereo.

Eventually after some back-and-forth trimming I got a pretty tight fit. You have to be careful not to remove too much material as there will only be 1/4" of frame on each side when you're done.

It's not attached to the hull yet, and I'm not sure how I'm going to do that either. Some kind of adhesive? I would like to make this as waterproof as possible. Any suggestions?

[IMG][/IMG]