View Single Post
Old 02-11-2012, 02:35 PM
Posts: n/a
Importing a US boat into CANADA

My Thoughts the day after bringing US boat and trailer across into CANADA.

Before leaving:
1) Contact dealer, get lots of pics, have his scan and email copies of the titles (boat and trailer).
2) Leave a deposit, 500 on credit card – subject to approval of boat buy buyer.
3) Let them know that you want to see it running in test tank, all gages, lights, bilge, blower etc, must be working. Including trailer lights. Make sure trailer has a spare.
4) Find out what size ball the trailer requires and whether it is a 4, 5, or 7 pin connection.
5) Find out if the trailer has current valid tags (licence plate). I towed the boat with no problems from the cops all the way home. (if no current tags then you must go to DMV and get t 3 day trip permit).
6) Go to ICBC with a copy of sales invoice and get an insurance binder for the trailer attached to your towing vehicles insurance.
7) Secure insurance for the boat, in case it is damaged in transport. (usually 400.00 for the whole year with liability for water sports ect).
8) If you are brining US dollars in the states make sure you have withdrawl slips from your bank. (They want to know your not a drug dealer washing money). In my case, the US did not ask, but the Canadians did.
9) RE: money. If you are taking 10 grand or more across the border, you must let the Canadian and US side know. (stupid I know).
10) A copy of any advert or craigslist posting for the item is recommended.

At dealer:
1) Check the trailer vin numbers and boat serial numbers against the ones on the title. They must match. Also, ask that these numbers are noted on the sales invoice.

Crossing Back to Canada: HAVE-
1) Past port
2) Sales invoice
3) Titles signed by owner or dealer
4) Withdrawl slips if you paid in cash
5) A craigslist or wed add of the boat
6) Payment Cash, Creditcard.
7) You will get a FORM 1 which must be stamped by the border agent.

RIV: 1) Online (or at the border – if crossing during business hours), produce FORM 1, Pay, Get an inspection certificate. 2) Take Trailer to Canadian Tire for inspection. 3) Go to ICBC: Produce FORM 1, all receipts, titles, ect (basically all documents collected thusfar), (in BC) pay your provincial sales tax, Get a new Plate, registration, and insurance for your trailer.
REGISTERING THE BOAT: go to service Canada to acquire a new set of boat Reg. Numbers. (again bring all documents). You can do this by mail or in person.

That is it. (1st time was a breeze – just make sure you follow every step exactly).
Reply With Quote