View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 02:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1982 stars and stripes
stringers are comming out!

Mondays progress:

Finally got all the floor and foam removed from the hull today. Found another section of the stringer that is completly rotted through, and the stringers were quite damp under the seemingly good looking fiberglass laminate.

Something else I discovered....At first glance, the foam looked "dry". I had my suspcions, that it the area was indeed dry, so I tore out some of the foam down to the hull, and decovered that it was quite wet between the foam and hull. At this point, I decided to remove all the foam to dry the area out!

At this point, the decision has been made to do it right and replace the stringgers. i don't think it is going to be that tough at this point....now that everything has been removed.

Went to the local lumber yard and picked up (2) 2x8x20 Duglas Fir beams for new stringers. Picked the straightest ones i could. Pretty straight...one better than the other...What do you think...run them over a "jointer" to make the top edge perfectly straight? Bottom edge will be cut anyway to match the contour of the boat.

Started to modify trailer today so the boat will fit properly today also.
Attached Images