View Single Post
Old 06-18-2011, 07:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbkdaw3 View Post
I had this happen but instead of going 55 i was going 70+ shot off like a cannon right through the fiberglass runners and flew in the air straight up I bet 30 feet. Never found tire and just gald no one behind me did not freak out and get hit. How did it happen? A few days before my brakes had been locked up so I took the tire off and got the brakes realesed by removing the calipers. I remembered afterwards I had only tighten the bolts up while the boat was not on the trailer and the tire would spin when i was trying to get them supper tight. In all the other packing I forgot to tighten before we left with the boat on to hold the tire steady. I took off from Fl headed back to NC with the boat and made it about 1 hour north of Orlando before it came off. I suspect one by one the nust got loose and the rim sheared each lug off till it came off. I learned a valuable lesson. I never head very far with my trailer without a full check of of the tires and the lug nuts. I believe your lug nuts were lose and the same thing happened.
Too tight or too loose will have the same effect. The same thing can happen if you don't use a star pattern when initially seating the wheel. If the wheel is not square to the wheel flange, it will soon work itself loose and make an exit. This happened to my F150 when I let my brother put a rear wheel on following a brake job.

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com