View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 01:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '96 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane D View Post
If you have a small amount of ability with doing these kind of things, it shouldn't be too much trouble. The primer you showed is an epoxy which has excellent corrosion protection properties. These primers are designed to be applied to bare steel and the overcoated with a surfacer or top coat. Epoxy primer does not have to be sanded to be overcoated.

The gun you have linked up there will work for what you are doing, but keep in mind that spray guns that automotive paint technicians use cost $500-$800.00. Your compressor should be at least 2 HP to provide enough air for the consumption that gun requires (6 CFM - cubic feet per minute).

If you go slow, take your time and remember "less is more" you should do just fine. Don't try and put all the paint on at one time, you can always add another coat. Once it comes out of the gun, though you can't put it back in. There will be an adjustment on the gun to restrict the motion of the trigger. I highly recommend you turn that knob in at first until you get used to how fast the paint gets on the panel so you don't creat unnecessary work for yourself to fix runs. Remember to bend down and spray the bottom and the insides of the trailer as well. If you don't it will rust through on you in an astonishingly short amount of time.

Looks like a fun project that you can do yourself and will make a big difference for the looks of your rig. Let me know how it turns out and I will help any way I can as you get started.
Thanks for taking the time to write this up. I may have some questions once I get everything here and ready to go. I'm glad to hear that about not needing to sand the primer. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible without resorting to the rattle cans. I think this way will still come out ahead in terms of looks and maybe even price over the rattle can method.

Once I get the boat back home I will try to restore the fenders before giving up and painting them. If I do have to paint them would the epoxy primer be good on the fiberglass as well?

Thanks again!
Acme 541
PerfectPass Stargazer Wakeboard Edition