View Single Post
Old 03-23-2011, 12:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by supturb89 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on painting the entire trailer. Planned to use this HVLP gun from HF. I'm having the trailer blasted and then plan on priming with this, followed by the paint above. Not looking for showroom quality, just better than what it is currently, which shouldn't be too hard to do.
If you have a small amount of ability with doing these kind of things, it shouldn't be too much trouble. The primer you showed is an epoxy which has excellent corrosion protection properties. These primers are designed to be applied to bare steel and the overcoated with a surfacer or top coat. Epoxy primer does not have to be sanded to be overcoated.

The gun you have linked up there will work for what you are doing, but keep in mind that spray guns that automotive paint technicians use cost $500-$800.00. Your compressor should be at least 2 HP to provide enough air for the consumption that gun requires (6 CFM - cubic feet per minute).

If you go slow, take your time and remember "less is more" you should do just fine. Don't try and put all the paint on at one time, you can always add another coat. Once it comes out of the gun, though you can't put it back in. There will be an adjustment on the gun to restrict the motion of the trigger. I highly recommend you turn that knob in at first until you get used to how fast the paint gets on the panel so you don't creat unnecessary work for yourself to fix runs. Remember to bend down and spray the bottom and the insides of the trailer as well. If you don't it will rust through on you in an astonishingly short amount of time.

Looks like a fun project that you can do yourself and will make a big difference for the looks of your rig. Let me know how it turns out and I will help any way I can as you get started.