View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 09:45 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty View Post
Still more to learn! OBD I is the type of connector, and I am looking for a 12 pin connector that looks like this, correct?

Any idea where this DLC would be located? Mounted to the engine somewhere, or is it one of the multiple capped, loose, wire harness terminations, like the fuel pump relays?

To connect to the OBD I port, would this work?
for $59 (here)

I did check the model # of my MEFI, which in this case ('98 LT1) turns out to be MEFI-2.

I would like to be able to read temps, hours ran, etc., and read any error codes should they appear...no reprogramming for me, thank you!
More curious at this point, but I can justify it to myself if I can use it to diagnose a problem if it occurs...

There is also something called an "EFI Diagnostic Adapter" here: http://www.rinda.com/acro/prodlist.pdf
At the bottom of page one, just above the above mentioned CodeMate blinky, is a "#94005 GM-Delphi MEFI 1 - MEFI 4b EFI Diagnostic Adapter" dongle for $39, would this do the same thing as the $59 one above?
OBD I is the system, not the connector and while your adapter may work, that's not the same connector used in marine applications. Yours is at the rear of the motor and has a black cover, possibly with some gray on it. It should be near the circuit breaker and it's easier to get at it if you release the gas struts on the motor cover from the brackets on the floor.

The cheap code reader will show only the codes, not actual data. Showing only codes is fine if you need to diagnose a problem but the data lets you see if something is out of range, although you'll need to find out what the correct range is, in order for that info to do any good. For example, the TPS will indicate a voltage and a percentage- if the throttle position indicated is 2% and you're at WOT, it means the TPS is either the wrong part, or it's defective. The reason I mention this part specifically is because your motor won't work with the TPS from most of the rest of the GM engine lineup.