View Single Post
Old 08-28-2010, 06:58 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '96 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcreek View Post
Excellent! That baby will clean right up over the winter. I bought a 97 205 that was abused by the previous owner. Mechanically it was in OK shape with only 350 hours on it but he ran out of money to keep it running and had it sitting uncovered on blocks out in a farm field for years. Every seam in the vinyl was rotted and simply sitting on the seat would cause a rip. I wet sanded and buffed out the gel coat, stripped out the carpet and seats and had new skins made at a local shop. I cut and glued in new carpet, made new boards for the side panels (only wood in the boat), and then bolted everything back up. I paid 6k for the boat and spent 3k for carpet,skins and various mechanical parts to make the boat worthy.
Time consuming but not technically difficult at all.

Before

After

Next up is fixing the flimsy teak swim platform, not a great design.
Nice job on the restore. How difficult was the carpet replacement? I will probably do that this winter as well. I don't know if I will have to wet sand or not. I'm planning on replacing all the decals so I hope that whatever I do you won't be able to see where the old decals were on the boat. With new skins the boat should look much better. My teak needs some attention as well. I may end up getting another one because it looks as though the previous owner may have modified it a little with what doesn't look to be teak???

I have been researching this product and it seems to get good feedback.
http://www.aqua-buff.com/

Anybody have any experience with it?