View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 07:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft ProStar 190
Post Low MPH/RPM - '89 ProStar 190

Hey all,

Buddy of mine has an '89 ProStar 190 and taking it out this year we notice that it's currently topping out around 29MPH (on GPS) and ~3000RPM's. He's a fairly new owner to the boat and isn't sure what it was running at before this year, so hard to say if this is a new issue that's cropped up or not.

Overall, the boat seems to run great. It doesn't sputter or bog down or anything, and takes off great out of the hull without issues. It does seem that once the throttle handle reaches about 70% wide open, is when it doesn't grab any additional power between then and 100% open. Again, doesn't seem to be bogging down after that or anything, it just seems to top out there and not gain any more speed/RPM's.

I'm going to head up to his place in a week or so and start taking a look at things, but wanted to get some advice on what I should be looking into when I get there. Things that I can think of to check are:
- Throttle cable actually opening up the carb all the way (i.e. see if at that 70-100% it's actually not opening anymore, when there is still more to go.)
- Flame arrestor (I seem to remember seeing this to be pretty dirty)
- Fuel filter replacement
- Check fuel screen at pump and carb
- Timing (make sure it's set to 10 degrees BTDC at 600RPM's)

Is there anything else that I should be looking at first, or something else that stands out to you? Also, as far as I know, I shouldn't waste my time with throwing the timing light on it, till it's in the water and in gear, yeah?

Thanks all!

-Dan