View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 PM
GrahamATX

Question Mastercraft X-25 Wakesurfing Advice, Ballast & Setup

I purchased a 2010 MC X-25 about a month ago. I thought it was the best all around boat on the market. I also assumed its Deep V hull would be perfect for wakesurfing, but I have had some difficulty dialing in the best possible wakesurfing wake. Of course, the factory ballast does not even get close. Here is what I have done so far for surfing on the port side:

1. Fill all factory ballast to 100%
2. Place 750 lbs of steel shot ballast in the port storage compartment located next to the engine (the steel shot is denser than water, so I can pile the ballast right in the corner).
3. Place a 750lb fat sac in the port side under-seat locker and fill it about 3/4 full
4. Place a 400lb fat sac in the bow between the seats and completely fill this.

So, with the stock ballast and additional ballast, I am at about 2500 lbs of ballast. This is for just one rider and no passenger. With additional passengers, I would reduce the weight.

By doing this, I create a massive wake, but it is not ideal for surfing. Although it has height, there are two problems:

1. The wake is not smooth at the lip and has a lot of turbulence at the lip.
2. The pocket itself is only about 5 or 6 feet long, as opposed to the 10-15 you would like to see.
3. The wake is too close to the boat as compared to the ideal.

Don't get me wrong--it is a decent wake, but just not what you might expect from the Deep V hull given the amount of ballast that I am using.

The surf tabs on the X-25 seem to be useless. If I use the surf tabs at all, it seems to increase the turbulence. I am concerned that even the presence of the surf tab in the up position increases turbulence.

I know the X-25 is new and there might not be much experience with building a surf wake out there. However, I would appreciate any advice or insight from anyone on how to improve the quality of the wake (less turbulence and longer). Perhaps I will just have to spend a lot of time with trial and error, but if anyone has worked through the issues, it would be much appreciated.

By the way, I am running at about 11.5 to 11.8 MPH when surfing.

Thanks