View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 01:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1986 Stars and Stripes, 351W PCM
the photo posted was not of my boat. my solenoid is actually the older style that is bracket mounted so the solenoid sits away from the engine block. there was a little bit of rust that cleaned off easily, but not nearly as rusty as that photo. yes, i pulled the starter off just last week. did not lubricate it, but i will. what kind of lubricant and where do i apply?

still, the Bendix shaft could be rotated by hand, so I'm not concerned about the starter. i bought the boat about 8 years ago, and replaced the starter about 4 years ago. I keep the boat pretty darn dry in storage, therefore the engine is not that rusty and pretty clean over all. again, i really do not suspect the starter as being the culprit. however, i read someone say that the starter gets its ground from its contact points with the flywheel case. while i think this too is clean and not the issue, i will check it and sand/clean as needed.

any thoughts out there on my wiring question and why my starter sometimes keeps cranking?