View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac
I don't know about the '07's, but it might save you a long trip if you were able to read the trouble code yourself. An OBD II scanner plugged into the data port would get you that info and allow you to reset it if your dealer says that's appropriate. You could buy that scanner, or you could maybe borrow one. There's a paper clip method too, wherein you can short pins A and B at the data port and get the code from the blinking of the check-engine light, but I don't know what the blinking light codes are. You could ask your dealer those codes. If it were me, I'd rather call the dealer with the code than take the boat to him hours away so he could get it. It might be nothing - you might tell him the trouble code, he might tell you it's nothing and that you should just clear it.
DO NOT TRY TO SHORT THE DATA LINK (OBD) PLUG WITH A PAPER CLIP!!! IT WILL NOT WORK AND COULD RESULT IN SEVERE DAMAGE TO THE ECM THAT WOULD NOT BE COVERED BY YOUR WARRANTY. A MARINE DATA LINK CONNECTOR IS DIFFERENT AND ONE OF THE PINS IN THAT PLUG IS CONNECTED TO 12V BATTERY VOLTAGE.

Sorry for yelling but I wanted to make sure I got your attention. The only way to read the codes is with special marine scan tool software and cable called Diacom used in conjunction with a laptop computer.

Engine nut